Menacuddle Well.

December 23rd 2017

 

 

This tranquil looking place is know as Menacuddle holy well or the sacred springs to some of the locals. 

It's just off the main road but the sound of the cars are drained out by the rushing waters and wild bird varieties. In December in the early afternoon me and my friend Kai where talking and came to the realisation that neither of us had taken a long exposure of a waterfall (which gives the silky smooth look).
So we packed our bags full of snacks and camera stuff and headed over to the waterfall.

 

There's several ways people go about getting a long exposure, some use a timer in-built into the camera settings, this keeps the shutter open for either seconds or minutes, as well as using a neutral density filter if there is too much light, as you'll be taking one photo for several minutes which lets in a lot of sunlight. I decided to use a neutral density 9 filter, which meant that i could leave the shutter open for much longer, creating a more intense looking effect on the water and essentially blending the water together instead of having lots of sharp detail.

 

 

So, I had set up my tripod, fitted my neutral density filter, set my on-board camera timer to 8 minutes and of course battled against mud and raging waters in the process, there wasn't much left to do but to enjoy the scenery, even though it begun to rain heavily it still didn't ruin the serenity of this place, yet only made it feel more peaceful if anything. 

i wasn't sure what to expect when i got home, this was the first time either of us had done something like this with a camera, we weren't expecting much it was just a fun new type of shot to get.
 

 

I was pleasantly surprised when i got home, everything was exposed correctly, even though this shot was taken over an 8-10 minute period with much guesswork and luck. 
I then continued onto post-processing and didn't change much in the image, just enhanced some parts like the sharpness and saturation that where lost slightly in the long exposure, and here is what we ended up with.